This is an invitation for authors to submit a paper for the EURO Excellence in Practice Award 2015. The purposes of the competition are torecognise outstanding accomplishments in the practice of Operational Research, to attract more application-oriented papers to EURO-k Conferences and to promote the practice of Operational Research in general.
All interested authors are invited to submit a detailed description of an application of Operational Research which has original features, whether in methodology, application or implementation. This may be in the form of a paper written for publication (although not necessarily published at the time of submission), a client report, or other appropriate documentation. The documentation must describe the work in a way which illustrates how it meets the criteria outlined below. The age limit for published papers is four years. The work must not have been submitted concurrently to another competition. The application is open to Operational Research specialists from any part of the world.
The criteria for the evaluation of the papers are:
- scientific quality;
- relevance to Operational Research;
- originality in methodology, implementations and/ or field of application;
- a real impact on practice;
- appreciation by the organisation involved with the application.
Letters of appreciation are important.
The jury selects a short-list of finalists who will present their work in a special session of the 2015 EURO-k Conference in Glasgow. There is no registration fee for one author of each of the finalist presentations. The winner will be determined by the jury at the end of the special session and will be announced by the chair of the jury during the closing session of the EURO-k Conference.
The prize for the winners is a distinct honour, and in material terms consists of:
- a certificate of excellence in OR practice for each author of the paper;
- an amount of €3,000 shared between the authors.
- Luca Gambardella (Switzerland) - chair
- Ton G. de Kok (The Netherlands)
- Ulrich Dorndorf (Germany)
- Marco Laumanns (Switzerland)
- Sue Merchant (UK)
More information can be found here.